Friday, July 21, 2006

This you will not believe

Not just any old drainage hole, this. After a party in Kurvi (see previous post for general look), our host wanted to show us something very special. This hole is linked (he claims) to the Helsinki Airport, so you can hear the announcements echoing in the cavity underground. I tend to think it is actually a recording, but it was tremendously effective. We were there at two in the morning, and beneath us, a disembodied voice told us "Lähtö Finnairin vuorolla AY 844 Amsterdamiin, portti 15..." ("Finnair flight AY 844 to Amsterdam, gate 15...") over and over again. No, I wasn't hallucinating, or schizophrenic. Or fallen into Being John Malkovich. I think.
The plaque proves it is not my imagination: MUTTA MINÄ LÄHDEN... (BUT I SHALL LEAVE...), by Markku "Sika" ("The Pig") Puustinen. There is also a mobile phone number for text message feedback. Unhappily, I can't quite tell apart the 5s, 6s, and 8s.And finally us, the appreciative crowd: Hessu, Ivor, me, Mark our host, and Joel the Elder. Picture taken by a wonderful Colombian lady, Paola. Thank you all, what a night it was.

No comments: