Thursday, June 29, 2006

The best cafés in town

Right, I have my tourist guide's cap on, and here goes: Café Tamminiementie, the best café, is suitably off the beaten track yet within easy reach from the heart of town. It has a truly Chekhovian atmosphere both indoors and out, the slices of pie are warship-sized, delicious, and served with generous dollops of whipped cream (flavoured with real vanilla), and you can drink as many cups of coffee (or tea) as you can handle, for the price of one cup. I have also had the best slice of mushroom and asparagus quiche of my life at this establishment. The name means "Oak Cape Road" (also the address), and that's my mum on the left.


The midsummer rose, "juhannusruusu", blooms gorgeously in the garden area of Café Tamminiementie, but only for a week or so.


Another good café on the fortress island of Suomenlinna, 15 minutes by ferry from the heart of town. Sadly, my camera ran out of batteries, as had the one local shop, so I have no more photos of this UNESCO World Heritage Site.

4 comments:

nmj said...

i want to go to cafe tamminiementie right now!

Anna MR said...

Dear heart, when we meet up in Helsinki, that's the first place I'm taking you, be it midwinter or the height of summer!

nmj said...

anna, thanks so much, postcard came today! also, just to say, tiscali is down so my emails are erratic, but i did respond to you & hope all is well in helsinki! nmj

Anna MR said...

Hei nmj, all is well, and I did get your email too, thank you for the support!