Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Finland, Finland, Finland...

...the country vhere I vant to be ...

(please remember this is a Monty Python song rather than thinking I've gone mad)

Odd fact of the day: Finland, a country of ca 5 million inhabitants, has ca 2 million saunas. The sauna was the first thing the old forest-dwelling Finns would build; only after the sauna was ready, would they start on the actual living quarters. People were born in the sauna, died in the sauna, and best of all, got warm in a sauna. In a word, it is irreplacable for any genetic Finn and pretty damn good for the rest of mankind, and I have missed sauna madly in the tropics.

I arrived on Thursday last week and *still* haven't had a sauna! We have a particularly romantic and wonderful one at the mökki (important Finnish word # 2: mökki, summer cottage), built practically above a lake, it is fantastic. I am certainly off there in the next few days. Photographic evidence will follow.

1 comment:

Anne said...

o anna i love saunas. the few times i have been in a sauna i could not pull myself out. they invigorate me and restore my strength. i dont know why. i know it is not recommended to prolong a session as I did. I can stay a whole hour. steam rooms make me choke. that was a a very unique hat!it is so exciting to be messaging you in finland!