Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It is telling, perhaps,

of the human condition how a long and eagerly awaited homecoming can make one feel an inexplicable sadness. I sit in what was my girlhood bedroom, now my father's "study", an overly-posh word for what it is, and I cannot make out whether I am the same person now as then, whether I regret everything or nothing, whether life feels infinitely long or fleetingly short.

On the windowsill, my father has an old photograph, a portrait of his father's family with parents and eight children - my great-grandparents, great aunts and uncles, and my grandfather at around eight. He looks so much like my younger son you would think someone has photoshopped my baby into the picture. My great-grandmother is not many years older than I am now but looks almost seventy. She will die not long after the picture is taken. I cannot remember whether she lives to see the baby of the family drown. The child is around four, fair-haired, tiny, frail. I imagine I can see him already marked out for an early death. My grandfather was born 1900. The picture will be nearly a century old.

Even this far "south" (all is relative), the days are almost 24 hours long. You would think it would give people a sense of eternal life, but quite the opposite. The Arctic-Slavic blood in my veins spells out "it will all end soon" with every heartbeat. Oh, life, life.

© 2006 Anna MR

5 comments:

nmj said...

Oh, Anna, can tell you have that bittersweetness of being 'home', all great fuel for a writer!

KSx said...

That was nice and bittersweet, Anna.

I always find it spooky to go "home" too, and be reminded I've somehow managed to live so long, like the things I did years ago belong to some other life.

And it's especially spooky to consider your place in the continuum of life, in the generations of your family, and what you might leave behind.

Luckily for us, these blogs will be archived FOREVER... (assuming Goggle lives forever...)

nmj said...

suomalainen päiväkirjani: anna, meant to ask, what do these lovely words mean?

Anna MR said...

Thank you, NMJ and Kurt. Life breaks my heart at the moment...

The title of this "bloglet" means, quite aptly, "My Finnish Diary"!

nmj said...

I like your blog within a blog, kind of like a play within a play!

(Forgive if this is a duplicate, Blogger is playing up today.)